Here's another part to the story =)
Family
"Hey Alex." I heard a voice pulling me back into consciousness. "Alex! Wake up!"
"Humph…" I sighed in response, "what day is it?"
"Sunday, approximately six am. We have to get over to that kids church on Fifth Ave by nine." James answered, sounding pleased with himself for getting me up.
"And you're waking me up at six because....?"
"Its five miles away and I figured we could get some food."
"Oh good point. Okay I'm up now!" I pulled myself into a sitting position wrapping myself in my tattered sleeping bag. "How much do we have left from yesterday?"
"Three dollars and... fifty three cents" James replied counting change in his palm. "What do you feel like having? The world is ours!" He snickered at that last part and I couldn't help but grin.
"Um... lets start walking."
And off we went. We ended up stopping at a little cheap diner along the way, but that's not important. After two years on the street (and the squatter house where Mike and Hallie lived) we pretty much knew where the cheapest places to eat are.
By eight we were in front of the church, feeling strangely lost. Until we heard a familiar voice:
"Alexandria! James!" we turned at the sound
"Hello there Adam" I said brightly. I felt extremely out of place in my torn jeans and old navy blue sweatshirt next to him in his crisp fresh jeans and suit jacket.
"Come here," he said leading us into the tiny church. "My mom wants to talk to you, she is the director of music for the church."
"Uh... Why does she want to talk to us?" James asked.
"Well.." Adam looked a little uncertain. "I told her that you guys were musicians, and I just figured that you were Christians. And she was wondering if you would play something at the service today." He laughed a little. "I thought she was going to have a heart attack when I told her you lived on the streets."
"Um..." I said
"Oh, I'm sorry, do you guys mind singing today?" He looked sad now, wow this kid changed emotions fast.
"No not at all," I said quickly catching James' eyes who nodded at me. "We'd be honored"
"Okay." Now Adam led us into a small hallway, and through a door that said: "Maryam Dumont Music Director"
"Mom?" Adam said knocking on the door and opening it. The door swung open to reveal a young (maybe 30?) Asian woman talking on the phone. I quickly looked at Adam, with his blond hair, green eyes and European features, then at his mom with her black hair, dark brown eyes and Asian features. I guess my reaction read on my face because Adam leaned in to me and said "I'm adopted". Opps, guess I'm easier to read than I thought
The woman (Maryam?) hung up the phone and turned to face us. She looked surprised at first, but then realized who we were.
"Oh! You must be Alexandria and James!" she said with a big grin. "Adam has told me so much about you. "I'm Maryam, Adam's mother." We exchanged greetings and shook hands.
"So," Maryam said, sounding official. "Adam's father and I were wondering if you two would play a song at the service today."
"We would love to." I said with a grin.
"Okay, well I'll let you two decide.
James and I shared a look and nodded. "Have you ever heard of Jon Foreman?" James asked
"Ah yes, I'm a big Switchfoot fan" Maryam replied.
"How about his solo stuff? We were thinking of playing Your Love Is Strong."
"Sounds good!" Maryam replied. "Ah its getting close to starting time, why don't you two take a seat in the front?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We sat in the front pew in the hall. Feeling better and more in place. Adam was dressed up for something after church. Half way through the Pastor (Maryam's husband Timothy) looked our way.
"Now it is my great pleasure to welcome up to the stage James and Alexandria, who are friends of my son Adam."
We walked up guitar in hand, I for one was shaking with nervousness. We started singing and I let the music surround me, suddenly the room disappeared, and I was just in peace. Two things You told me, that You are strong and You love me, yes You love me. I don't know about James, but I definitely felt like a star. Then it was over. People clapped and we walked back to our seats, once again Alexandria and James, homeless on the streets of New York in a small church on Fifth Avenue.
~Katie
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Family
Posted by Katie at 7:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment